I would like to thank the community for supporting the school budget and education of our students in Herkimer.
Our last Be. character trait for this school year will focus on being Mindful. Mindful means paying attention to what is happening right now. Students should practice being mindful at home and in school with their words and actions. Being mindful will help all of us make positive life choices.
We are fortunate to be able to a offer summer program this year for students to assist them in sustaining and reinforcing their skills. The program will run half-days from July 15 – August 8 with transportation provided. Breakfast and lunch will also be an option for students. Students have been selected by their homeroom teacher and invitation letters have already been mailed home. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact myself or Miss Paragi at 315-866-8562.
Summer Enrichment Opportunities
Summer enrichment opportunities will occur again this summer (i.e., Drama/Theater, Engineering, Gardening, and Art)! These are unique opportunities for students to be creative, collaborative, and use 21st century skills. Students were chosen based on teacher recommendation and other character and academic criteria. Letters have been mailed home.
If you plan to move over the summer months and will not be attending Herkimer next year, we ask that you please notify the office as soon as possible. Also, if you are living out-of-district, please take the necessary steps to enroll your child in the district in which you reside. HCSD will no longer accept out-of-district students.
It has been a pleasure working with all of you over the course of the 2018-2019 school year! I hope everyone has a fantastic summer and enjoys time with their family and friends.
As always, if you have any specific questions or concerns, please feel free to contact your child’s teacher or the main office.
Mrs. Renee Vogt
Important Dates to Remember
- June 3-4: Kindergarten Screening
- June 3: PTA Meeting
- June 13: K-5 Art Show, 6-7 p.m.
- June 20: Field day
- June 21: Early dismissal (11 a.m.)
- June 24: UPK Celebration 6 PM / 11 AM Early Dismissal
- June 25: Grade 5 Celebration 7 PM HES Gymnasium / Last Day of School / 11 AM Early Dismissal
- June 3 (A): Intramural (boys), PTA meeting, 7 p.m.
- June 4 (B): Intramural (girls)
- June 5 (C) : Intramural (boys), swim – McCumber
- June 6 (D): Intramural (girls)
- June 7 (E): Band; STEM – 3; Swim – McCumber
- June 10 (A): Intramural (boys)
- June 11 (B): Intramural (girls)
- June 12 (C) : Intramural (boys); swim – McCumber
- June 13 (D): Intramural (girls); art show, 6-7 p.m.
- June 14 (E): Band; swim – McCumber
- June 17 (A): Intramural (boys)
- June 18 (B): Intramural (girls)
- June 19 (C): Intramural (boys)
- June 20 (D): Intramural (girls); Field Day
- June 21 (E): early dismissal
- June 24 (A): early dismissal
- June 25 (B): early dismissal
Reminders from the Nurse’s Office
Physical Examination Requirements
New York State law requires a health examination for all students entering the school district for the first time and when entering Pre-K or K, 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, and 11th grade. The examination must be completed by a New York State licensed physician assistant or nurse practitioner. Documentation of up to date immunizations is required prior to the first day of school. A dental certificate which states your child has been seen by a dentist or dental hygienist is also asked for at the same time.
The end of the school year is quickly approaching! NYS regulations require all medication left at school at the end of the year to be discarded, this includes inhalers and epi-pens. Unless your child has current permission to self-carry their medication, the school is not able to allow your child to bring the medication home themselves.
Medications not picked up by the end of the day on June 25 will be disposed of. If you need to make special arrangements to pick up medication, please call Sandyha Farrington, RN at 315-866-8562, ext. 1022