Herkimer High School students and their parents are invited for a night of “Adulting and Appetizers” on Oct. 17. The event, which will run from 5 to 6:30 p.m. at the high school, aims to guide students through the process of applying for college and financial aid.
“It’s possible that students will be able to come in and complete the application process from start to finish while they’re here,” School Counselor Bridgett Manley explained.
In addition to expert help from the Higher Education Services Corporation (a state agency), the event will include representatives of state colleges, and sessions on the trades.
Mrs. Manley said the goal of the event is to help students and their families learn about all the options available to them after graduation, and be able to access help and support through the process of applying for colleges and financial aid.
“Even for parents that have gone through the process, it’s good to have someone there who’s trained to help and answer questions,” Mrs. Manley pointed out.
Parents who plan to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid should bring the following information:
- Social security numbers (student and parents)
- Parents’ date of birth
- Student’s driver’s license number, if student has one
- Student’s Permanent Alien Registration Number, if not a U.S. citizen
- 2018 Federal Income Tax Returns
- Records of any untaxed income (for student and parents), including
- Child support
- Tax-exempt interest income
- Veterans’ benefits
- Untaxed IRA deductions
- Workers’ compensation benefits
- Disability benefits
For more information, contact Mrs. Manley at (315) 866-2230, ext. 1318.