From the Principal’s Desk
Dear Parents and Guardians,
I would like to start by thanking all the parents/guardians and families who attended our annual Open House. It is always nice to see so many families eager to meet their child’s teacher and see what they do each day. If you were unable to sign up for a Parent-Teacher Conference at Open House, please contact your child’s teacher.
Academic Intervention Services
The New York State 2019 ELA and Math scores for students in grades 4-5 were recently released. You should have received a state report detailing your child’s performance on each NYS exam. We are required by the State Education Department to provide AIS to all students scoring below the scale scores on the 2019 assessments. If your child qualified for AIS, you should have received parent notification over the last few weeks.
Arrival & Dismissal Reminders
Please continue to use the the 2019-2020 Dismissal/Transportation Change Form if there are any AM or PM dismissal changes (you must send in a written note). Please note, we don’t accept ANY bus changes after 12 p.m. If you are picking up your child, please have them wait in the lobby with you.
Kindergarten students must have a parent/guardian waiting for them at the bus stop in order for them to be dropped off, otherwise, they will remain on the bus and be brought back to the elementary school. If no one is present at the bus stop, you will be notified and are responsible to promptly come and pick your child up. A second option would be to provide a written note giving permission for a kindergarten student to walk home with a sibling.
After-School Clubs and AIS Math
Informational packets and permission slips went home last week with kids in Grades 3-5 with our after-school opportunities. Clubs and AIS Math will start the first week in October. Schedule information is below.
Parent-Teacher Association (PTA)
Once again, PTA is sponsoring a Yankee Candle Fundraiser. Orders are due by Oct. 4. The profits from this fundraiser are used to support students and staff here at HES. To place an order for the fundraiser, visit www.yankeecandlefundraising.com and enter the group number 999971803.
Pickup for orders placed by Oct. 4 will be available from 11:15 a.m.-8 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 14.
As always, if you have any specific questions or concerns, please feel free to contact your child’s teacher or the main office.
Mrs. Renee Vogt
FAIR is the character trait we will focus on for the month of October. FAIR means agreeing with what is thought to be right or acceptable. Talk with your child(ren) about how they can exemplify FAIRNESS at home, at school, and in the community.
- Oct. 1 (D): STEM – 4; Yearbook
- Oct. 2 (E): Math – 3, 4, 5; Swim – Knowlton
- Oct. 3 (A): Band; STEM – 5
- Oct. 4 (B): Yankee Candle orders due
- Oct. 7 (C): Math – 3, 4, 5; Swim – Knowlton; PTA meeting, 7 p.m.
- Oct. 8 (D): Newspaper; Student Council
- Oct. 9 (E): Math – 3, 4, 5; Swim – Knowlton
- Oct. 10 (A): Art; Band; STEM – 3
- Oct. 11 (B)
- Oct. 14: No school (Columbus Day)
- Oct. 15 (C): STEM – 4; Swim – Knowlton; Yearbook
- Oct. 16 (D): Math – 3, 4, 5; Board of Education meeting, 6 p.m.
- Oct. 17 (E): Band; STEM – 5; Swim – Knowlton
- Oct. 18 (A)
- Oct. 21 (B): Math – 3, 4, 5
- Oct. 22 (C): Newspaper; Student Council; Swim – Knowlton
- Oct. 23 (D): No clubs (faculty meeting)
- Oct. 24 (E): Art; Band; STEM – 3; Swim – Knowlton; Picture Day retakes
- Oct. 25: No school (conference day)
- Oct. 28 (A): Math – 3, 4, 5
- Oct. 29 (B)
- Oct. 30 (C): Math – 3, 4, 5; Swim – Knowlton
- Oct. 31 (D): Band; Halloween parties
Please keep your child home and/or contact your child’s doctor for:
- Fever greater than 100.4 degrees (taken by mouth)
- Vomiting and/or diarrhea within the last 24 hours
- Severe sore throat along with fever and feeling ill for more than 48 hours, or after exposure to Strep throat infection
- Honey-crusted sores around the nose or mouth on other body parts
- Large amounts of mucous (liquid) from their nose, with face pain or headache
- Severe ear pain or fluid coming from the ear
- Severe headaches, especially with fever
Please keep children home for 24 hours after the fever ends or they have completed 24 hours of medication if prescribed by your health care provider.
Remind children to throw away used tissues, cover their mouths when they cough or sneeze, keep their hands away from their face, and to wash hands often with soap and warm water will help keep everyone healthier.
Feel free to call our office with any questions. You can reach the main office at 315-866-8562.
Do you have a musical instrument you no longer use? Herkimer Elementary will use it!
There has been a large increase in numbers for instrumental lessons! But it leaves us in an instrument deficit. We are looking for the following instruments to be donated to Herkimer Central School District for new instrumental students:
If you have any of these instruments that you would like to donate, bring them to HES. Please put; “Attention Miss Lily – donation” and print your name so we can practice gratefulness. Thank you for your donation!