The 2018-19 school budget was approved by voters on May 15. The budget will preserve existing programs and provide new opportunities for students. Details are below:
2018-19 Budget Highlights
- Budget total: $25,190,000
- State aid total: $15,121,000
- Local tax levy: $8,845,000
- Tax levy increase: 3.94%
- Tax levy limit: 4.03%
- Program Budget 2018-19: $17,212,000 (68%)
The Program Budget includes: the salaries and benefits of all teachers, guidance counselors, aides, monitors, psychologists, nurses, social workers and speech therapists.
- Capital Budget 2018-19: $5,752,000 (23%)
The Capital Budget includes: debt service on buildings; bus purchases; tax certiorari and court-ordered costs; and operations and maintenance costs including custodial staff.
- Administrative Budget 2018-19: $2,226,000 (9%)
The Administrative Budget includes: the salaries and benefits of all professional members who spend 50 percent or more of their time in administration and supervision. Also included are: clerical staff; public information; curriculum development and supervision; research, planning and evaluation; legal services; and school board-related costs.
More details are in the Line-Item Budget, under “More Information”
Herkimer Central School District residents will vote on a proposed 2019-20 budget on Tuesday, May 21, but budget development is a year-round process:
- January: Initial budget workshop meeting
- February: Budget workshop meeting (budget draft presented to Board of Education)
- March: Board candidate petitions available; tax levy limit calculation due to New York State Department of Education and state Comptroller; budget workshop meeting; adoption of scheduled propositions
- April: Proposed budget adopted; board candidate petitions due
- Early May: Budget statement available; budget hearing; budget notice mailed
- Third Tuesday in May: Budget vote
- July: Certification of compliance with tax levy
The Business Office at Herkimer CSD is responsible for oversight and management of district finances that are needed to support the educational mission.