The proposed 2018-19 school budget was approved by voters on May 15. Details are below:
2018-19 Budget Highlights
- Budget total: $25,190,000
- State aid total: $15,121,000
- Local tax levy: $8,845,000
- Tax levy increase: 3.94%
- Tax levy limit: 4.03%
Budget will expand district programs
The $25,190,000 budget approved by voters will preserve existing programs and provide new opportunities for students.
With only a modest increase (0.19 percent) in state aid, district officials have continued to seek efficiencies and cost-cutting measures, and propose using $650,000 from reserve funds, so that Herkimer students can continue to benefit from valuable programs while the district meets the rising costs of employee salaries and benefits.
What’s In The Budget?
The budget includes the following:
- Adding 1 section of pre-kindergarten and reducing 1 section of third grade
- Expanding the district’s participation in Project Lead The Way and VP-Tech programs to include more students
- Restoring Computer Science and Business programs and restoring a Physical Education teaching position
- Adding an after-school swim instruction program for elementary students
Budget development is a year-round process. Here are some key dates in the development of the annual budget:
- Jan. 10: Initial budget workshop meeting
- Feb. 15: Budget workshop meeting (budget draft presented to Board of Education)
- March 1: Board candidate petitions available; tax levy limit calculation due to New York State Department of Education and state Comptroller
- March 14: Budget workshop meeting
- March 28: Adoption of scheduled propositions
- April 16: Proposed budget adopted
- April 16: Board candidate petitions due
- May 1: Budget statement available
- May 2: Budget hearing
- May 3: Budget notice mailed
- May 15: Budget vote
- July: Certification of compliance with tax levy
The Business Office at Herkimer CSD is responsible for oversight and management of district finances that are needed to support the educational mission.
Herkimer’s adopted budget for the 2017-18 school year is $24,414,000. Detailed information about the budget is available in the sidebar. A summary is provided below.
- Program Budget 2017-18: $16,442,000 (67%)
The Program Budget includes: the salaries and benefits of all teachers, guidance counselors, aides, monitors, psychologists, nurses, social workers and speech therapists.
- Capital Budget 2017-18: $5,813,000 (24%)
The Capital Budget includes: debt service on buildings; bus purchases; tax certiorari and court-ordered costs; and operations and maintenance costs including custodial staff.
- Administrative Budget 2017-18: $2,179,000 (9%)
The Administrative Budget includes: the salaries and benefits of all professional members who spend 50 percent or more of their time in administration and supervision. Also included are: clerical staff; public information; curriculum development and supervision; research, planning and evaluation; legal services; and school board-related costs.
- BUDGET TOTAL: $23,064,000
- Program Budget 2016-17: $15,877,098 (69%)
- Capital Budget 2016-17: $5,030,302 (22%)
- Administrative Budget 2016-17: $2,156,600 (9%)